Master Class Lecture Series is a weekly program where guest speakers, internationally renowned film, television and media professionals, all celebrated in their specific fields, give a two-hour lecture on the subject of their expertise. Throughout the year, students from BFA, MFA and One Year Filmmaking programs attend to the Master Class Lectures with subjects ranging from the role of the talent agent to how to work with a film composer.
Master Class Guests in 2015-2016:
- Jacques Arnaud created and ran for 40 years La Franco American Films, one of the most successful French production companies in history, which has made more than 2000 commercials. In 1985, he received the only César Award which has been given for a commercial, for "Les Vautours" directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud. He has also collaborated with masters like Ridley Scott and Orson Welles.
- Keren Ben Rafael is a filmmaker and screenwriter who graduated from La Fémis film school in 2009. Many of her documentaries and films have been awarded in international film festivals in France, Brazil, Germany and the USA.
- Caroline Bonmarchand started to work as a Development Manager for the American production company Gotham Entertainment Group. In 1997, she founded her own company Avenue B and has developed over the past years a network of co-producers, broadcasters, and distributors on the international market.
- Eric du Faure is a musician and performer known under his stage name Private Pepper. He has held many roles in the music industry, such as a producer, record executive, manager, composer and music video director. He released is first six-track EP in 2013 and his fisrt studio album QIU in April 2015 for which he shot two music videos in Rio de Janeiro and the Isle of Ré.
- Julie Gavras started her career in the film industry as a first and second AD, before moving into directing documentaries. In 2007, director Costa-Gavras’s daughter wrote and directed her first feature film "Blame it on Fidel" which was selected at Sundance Festival and received the Michel d’Ornano Award at the Deauville American Film Festival. Her second feature film "Late Bloomers" was selected at the 2011 Berlin Film Festival.
- Charles Jodoin-Keaton is a Script Supervisor in film and television and has worked with directors Julie Delpy, Laurent Firode, Carine Tardieu, Frédéric Fonteyne, Franck Mancuso, Jan Peter.
He has been the script supervisor on network television series such as “Hannibal”, “Covert Affairs” and “Royal Pains”.
- Ivan Lebeau has been working in the video game industry for more than 22 years. In 2009, he founded the media consulting company Prodeo Consulting. Ivan is also the General Manager in France for the worldwide cloud gaming leader Gamefly Streaming, as well as the President of Gamestream, a new player in the gaming industry which offers cloud gaming services.
- Jean-Charles Lévy is an accomplished producer who started as a financial consultant for Arthur Andersen, before joining and presiding TF1 USA in Los Angeles. In 2003, he created his company Forecast Pictures, which has financed and produced several films directed by Stephen Hopkins, Todd Haynes and Elie Chouraqui.
- Dezso Magyar is a prize winning filmmaker. Born in Hungary, he has written and directed very controversial films which were recognized and awarded at international film festivals (Cannes, Oberhausen, Locarno), before immigrating to the USA. For the last two decades, he has been teaching and leading in one of the best film schools in the world such as the American Film Institute, the Canadian Film Center and Chapman University.
- Philippe Ros spent 11 years working as a Camera Assistant before he started his career as a Director of Photography on the Tour de France. Shoulder-held camera work became his area of specialization and he started to work on live concerts, music documentaries and commercial as a Lighting Director. Interested in digital camera, he has become a reference on 4K digital intermediate and has worked on major documentary films such as Yann Arthus Bertrand’s "Home" and Jacques Perrin’s "Oceans" and "Les Saisons".
- Judy Shrewsbury is a Costume Designer who has worked with some of the most prestigious actors and directors such as Manoel de Oliveira, Wim Wenders, Claire Denis, Sean Connery, Catherine Deneuve and Robert De Niro.
- Adrian Smith has been an Artist and Designer in the creative industries for the last 40 years. He has worked both as an Art Director and a Production Designer for television ("Shameless", "The History of Mr. Polly") and cinema with major directors such as Stanley Kubrick ("Full Metal Jacket", 1987), Asif Kapadia ("The Warrior", 2001), Nicholas Winding Refn ("Bronson", 2009) and Omer Fast ("Remainder", 2015).